The most common type of headache (and/or neck pain) originates from joint strain or muscle weakness in the neck and upper thoracic region. Other causes include:
- eye strain
- poor posture
- sinus congestion
- whiplash injury
- jaw imbalance and teeth grinding
- allergies and food intolerances.
The osteopaths at Parkdale Osteopathic Clinic may help to:
- improve your general mobility
- reduce muscular tension, nerve compression and inflammation
- improve the mobility of your ribs and thoracic and cervical spine
- improve blood supply and drainage to and from the head and neck
- advise on posture, exercise and stretching to help prevent a recurrence of symptoms
- offer guidance on diet and hydration
- advise on improving the ergonomics of your home or workplace.
Osteopaths, as primary health care practitioners, are trained to differentiate between headaches with common causes and those due to serious pathology. You should always seek advice from a health professional, including an osteopath, if you get a headache after a head trauma and/or the headache is getting worse.
You should also seek professional advice if the headache is accompanied by fever, nausea or vomiting, bleeding or fluid draining from the nose or ears, dizziness, blurred vision or speech, numbness, tingling or paralysis.